This was the most challenging project I’ve attempted so far. I have a handful of projects under my belt, and each one has been a little more difficult than the previous. We wanted a buffet table to go in our kitchen and we wanted the utility of more storage space as well. I found a few sets of plans and took elements from each one to create this piece. It has 44 mortise and tenon joints, lots of dadoes and 5 dovetailed drawers. I used soft close drawer slides and cabinet door hinges. The offset between the legs and the front face of the cabinet made hinge selection a little tricky, but I was able to find something that works.
The cabinet door panels are resawn curly cherry. I used cherry plywood for the panels that make up the body of the piece. The interior and dividers inside are also cherry plywood. The top is solid curly cherry.
I wiped the finish on everything using Boiled Linseed Oil followed by several coats of General Finishes Arm-R-Seal. I used 600 grit between coats and used a 2000 grit Platin pad with mineral oil to “rub out” the final coat after it had several weeks to cure.