Poly Is Not The Enemy! – Friday Live!
Live Event - March 17, 2017
Please help support the show on Patreon. We’ll love you long time!
Today I show you some early results from the Wiping Varnish Shootout I’m working on, which leads me into getting on my soapbox about oil-based finishes and misleading marketing language. Of course we have your questions as well. Here’s the rundown:
- 0:50 – What happened to Nicole last week?
- 4:31 – Wood Finish Comparison
- 9:05 – If you don’t stir satin finish, will it look glossy?
- 9:47 – Should I spend more on quality clamps, or buy more cheap clamps?
- 12:40 – Dried finish cure comparison.
- 18:20 – How does varnish compare to shellac?
- 19:40 – Common misunderstandings of finish types.
- 21:55 – What kind of sandpaper do you use and how do you tell something is good quality? Epoch Wood 2-Sided Sandpaper
- 23:14 – Will you be able to talk about monetized videos vs sponsorships?
- 24:20 – First bandsaw purchase: Laguna 14BX or an 18?
- 25:18 – Will multiple layers of satin finish cloud the surface of the material?
- 26:42 – Is there a book that demystifies all these finishes?
- 28:08 – How would you properly pore fill walnut?
- 28:52 – How much would it cost to go fishing with Marc?
- 31:30 – Have you played around with baking thermo curing woods?
- 32:06 – What speed are you jig saw cuts sped up to?
- 32:43 – What kind of smoker do you have?
- 33:28 – Have you noticed any differences between woodworking in Phoenix and Denver?
- 34:05 – What advice do you have for a novice woodworker starting a woodworking business?
- 40:24 – Is a jobsite or contractor a better saw for a 14 year old?
- 42:24 – What’s your favorite plywood brand?
- 43:40 – Patreon Supporter Thanks